Now, it’s for real.
After going through spring football, summer workouts, fall camp, fall scrimmages and finally jamborees last week, area high school football teams will start the regular season this week.
Here is this week’s high school football report:
Port Allen 21, Assumption 20
Covenant Christian Academy 15, Hanson Memorial 0
South Lafourche 20, H.L. Bourgeois 14
Central Lafourche 30, South Terrebonne 21
Ascension Christian 8, Houma Christian 6
St. John 7, Houma Christian School 0
Terrebonne 7, E.D. White Catholic 7
Thibodaux 38, Ellender 0
St. James 26, Vandebilt Catholic 3
WEEK 1 GAMES
Ellender at Thomas Jefferson, 7 p.m.
E.D. White Catholic at Vandebilt Catholic, 7 p.m. (Radio: 97.7-FM)
Riverside Academy at Thibodaux, 7 p.m.
Jesuit at Terrebonne, 7 p.m.
St. James at West St. John, 7 p.m.
Assumption at Donaldsonville, 7 p.m.
H.L. Bourgeois at South Terrebonne, 7 p.m.
White Castle at Central Lafourche, 7 p.m.
St. Charles Catholic at South Lafourche, 7 p.m. (Radio: 100.3-FM)
Houma Christian School at Highland Baptist, 7 p.m.
Central Private at Covenant Christian Academy, 7 p.m.
COURIER/COMET SIX PACK
1. St. James
4. Central Lafourche
6. E.D. White Catholic
STARS OF THE WEEK
• Covenant Christian Academy got a 35-yard scoring run from Malachi Ayo (Dylan Griffin kick) for a 7-0 halftime lead and a 2-yard score from Connor Matherne (Matherne two-point run) for the 15-0 final in a jamboree win over Hanson Memorial.
• South Lafourche’s Jake Pitre intercepted a Hail Mary and brought it back 90 yards for a touchdown as time expired to help the Trojans to a 20-14 win over H.L. Bourgeois in jamboree action. It was his second interception of the game.
• Central Lafourche quarterback Ashtrien Duncan went 5-for-7 for 186 yards and two touchdowns in a jamboree win over South Terrebonne.
• Thibodaux quarterback Luke Alleman hit wide receiver Kyren Lacy with scoring plays of 45 and 29 yards in a jamboree win over Ellender.
• St. James quarterback Shamar Smith completed 8-of-13 passes for 209 yards and three touchdowns with scoring strikes of 20 yards (Shen Joseph), 69 yards (Shazz Preston) and 45 yards (Logan Gravois) in a jamboree win over Vandebilt.
BY THE NUMBERS
4 – Plays ran in Thibodaux territory by Ellender on Friday night in jamboree play.
10 – Area teams who now play their home games on turf fields (Central Lafourche, Covenant Christian Academy (at Nicholls), Ellender, E.D. White Catholic, H.L. Bourgeois, St. James, South Lafourche, South Terrebonne, Terrebonne and Thibodaux.
30 – Seasons as head coach at South Terrebonne for Gators coach Richard Curlin.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
“They couldn’t kick a field goal and they decided to throw it up and have a chance to win the game. They gave me an opportunity. They threw it and I was in the right spot. I knew I was ahead of the wide receivers, so I’m just going down the field and I had a couple of big blocks. I made a couple of people miss and I just saw open field. I couldn’t believe it.” – South Lafourche’s Jake Pitre after his 90-yard interception return for a touchdown of a Hail Mary as time expired gave the Tarpons a 20-14 jamboree victory over H.L. Bourgeois on Friday night in Houma.