MARRERO – Archbishop Shaw broke a 17-game losing streak while breaking in a new home stadium, taking a 23-3 win over Vandebilt Catholic in a nondistrict game Saturday.

The game was played during the day because Shaw’s new stadium has no lights installed yet.

The Eagles looked crisp on their opening drive, taking the kickoff and going 65 yards in seven plays. Patrick Leonard capped the drive with a 32-yard field goal, giving Shaw a 3-0 lead with 8:24 left in the first quarter.

But for the rest of the half, offense from both teams was virtually nonexistent.

The Terriers’ first possession was a three-and-out, one of six in the game, that ended with a blocked punt that the Eagles recovered on the Vandebilt 11-yard line. A holding call pushed Shaw back, and Leonard was short on a 41-yard field goal attempt.

Vandebilt moved the ball on its next possession, going from its own 20 to the Eagles 10. But a flag and a sack forced the Terriers into a fourth-and-25 at the Shaw 28. The field goal attempt was short.

After an exchange of three-and-outs, Shaw started with a short field at the Vandebilt 41. Chyren McGuire intercepted Shaw quarterback Tyler Nichol to end the drive.

Shaw’s Mark Williams returned the favor three plays later, intercepting Vandebilt starter Emile Armand (7-of-15, 69 yards, two INTs).

Shaw managed a score at the end of the first half. Taking advantage of a short Vandebilt punt that gave the Eagles the ball at the Terriers’ 41, Nichol hit Ashton Johnson for a 30-yard touchdown pass, putting Shaw up 10-0 going into the locker room.

Vandebilt took the second half kickoff and moved to their own 49 thanks to a 14-yard completion to Ja’Corey Wells and a personal foul on Shaw. But the drive stalled and the Terriers punted.

Shaw went three-and-out and Vandebilt partially blocked the punt, giving it good field position at the Eagles’ 39. A rushing play lost a yard, and two incompletions forced a punt.

A short Shaw punt set up the Terriers at the Shaw 26, but Vandebilt was only able to move the ball seven yards. Reid Bourg hit the 37-yard field goal, giving Vandebilt its only points at 10-3 with 2:48 left in the third.

Shaw scored on their next possession on Johnson’s second touchdown catch of the game, a 32-yard pass from Nichol that made it 17-3 with 1:35 left in the third.

Vandebilt again moved the ball but mistakes killed the drive. On first-and-10 from the Shaw 24, a holding call pushed the Terriers back to the 34.

On the next play, both a personal foul and an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the same play left the Terriers with a first-and-41 from their own 35.

Shaw’s last score came on a freak play. Quarterback Max Doyle, who replaced Armond in the second half, muffed a shotgun snap and inadvertently kicked the ball directly to Shaw’s Miles Haney, who rambled in 21 yards untouched for the score.

Shaw declined the illegal kick penalty.

Vandebilt finished the game with 18 yards rushing, and 175 yards of total offense.

"I think the heat won," Vandebilt coach Jeremy Atwell said. "Shaw is a well-coached team. Hat’s off to them. Christening their new field with a win is great for them."

Atwell declined to comment on the situation with former Vandebilt quarterback Andrew Robison, who lost an appeal at a Louisiana High School Athletic Association executive committee meeting in Baton Rouge on Thursday after transferring from Vandebilt to Hahnville earlier this year.