This vegetarian pizza has a flour tortilla for its base. It provides and ultra-thin crust, allowing the toppings to be featured.
I like to place the baking tray in the oven while the oven preheats. It will be hot when the tortillas are placed on it, helping keep them crisp.
For speedy preparation, look for sliced or diced vegetables in the produce department or on a salad bar. Any type of vegetables can be used for the pizza.
• The vegetables can be sliced in a food processor fitted with a slicing blade.
• Any type of tortilla can be used. Make sure it is about 8-9-inches in diameter.
• Any type of bottled pasta sauce can be used.
• To buy: 1 small eggplant,1 small zucchini, 1 small green bell pepper, 1 package 8-9-inch light flour tortillas, 1 bottle pizza sauce, 1 bottle dried oregano and 1 small package shredded, part-skim milk mozzarella cheese.
• Staples: olive oil, onion, salt and black peppercorns.
VEGETABLE TORTILLA PIZZA
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 small eggplant, sliced, (about 2 cups)
1 medium onion, sliced (about 2 cups)
1 medium zucchini, sliced, (about 2 cups)
1 medium green bell pepper, sliced, (about 2 cups)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 18 to 9-inch light flour tortillas
1 cup bottled pizza sauce
1 cup shredded, part-skim milk mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking tray large enough to hold the 2 tortillas with foil and place in oven while it is preheating.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the eggplant, onion, zucchini and green bell pepper. Sprinkle the oregano and salt and pepper to taste on top. Saute 5 minutes.
Place the tortillas on the baking tray in the oven for 1 to 2 minutes. They should be golden and crisp. Remove the tray from the oven and spread the pizza sauce over the 2 tortillas.
Place the grilled vegetables over the sauce. Place the shredded mozzarella over the vegetables. Return the tray to the oven for 5 minutes or until the mozzarella melts.
Yield 2 servings.
Per serving: 497 calories (40% from fat), 22.3 g fat (9.5 g saturated, 7.2 g monounsaturated), 48 mg cholesterol, 29.4 g protein, 52.8 g carbohydrates, 16.4 g fiber, 776 mg sodium.
Recipe by Linda Gassenheimer