Hale Memorial Hospital
Hale Memorial Hospital, a tuberculosis treatment facility, opened October 19, 1958, serving 11 West Alabama counties. It was named after Dr. Robert Eugene Hale, a country doctor who strived to see the establishment of a new sanitarium to treat patients of West Alabama. Dr. Hale died in 1955 without seeing his dream come true. The hospital opened with 154 beds and was still not large enough for all the area's tuberculosis patients who were being treated in other state sanitariums. Hale Memorial became the state's eighth tuberculosis sanitarium.
— Moment in History compiled by Betty Slowe and Guy Hubbs