The Alabama Golf Association recently announced their All-State Teams for 2019. This is the third year of the awards being presented by the AGA.
All-State teams are awarded based on the Alabama State Junior Golf Rankings System, which awards points per event based on the number of participants in the event combined with overall strength of field. These tournaments must also meet additional requirements to be a sanctioned rankings event and are based off the player performance over the past 12 months from Sept. 1-Aug. 31.
There is strong representation for both University of Alabama teams, be it current freshmen or commitments for future years, along with juniors from the greater Tuscaloosa area.
Those girls are Michaela Morard from Huntsville who will attend UA next year; and Erika Allen, who is is from Berry, and will graduate in 2021.
The boys are Jones Free of Marion Junction who is a 2021 UA commit; Thomas Ponder of Dothan who is a freshman at UA; J.P. Cave of Mobile who is a 2020 commit to UA; and Matthew Madden of Northport, who is a 2020 commit to Samford University.
Let’s take a look at the girls and boys first, second and third teams, totaling 30 players.
2019 Alabama Girls All-State Teams
Girls First Team
• Michaela Morard, 2020, of Huntsville is a senior at Randolph School in Huntsville and the two-time defending Girls State Player of the Year. She won two AGA State Titles in 2019 – This included her fourth title at the Girls State Junior Championship tying former UA great Martha (Jones) Lang for most all-time victories. She followed that performance up with a victory in the Women’s State Amateur Championship at Cherokee Ridge Country Club. Morard also had a first-place finish at the AHSAA State High School Championship and advanced to the Round of 32 at the U.S. Girls’ Junior and the U.S. Women’s Amateur. Morard has eight career AGA State Titles: Girls State Junior Championship (2015, 2017-2019), Women’s State Amateur Championship (2019), Women’s Stroke Play Championship (2016, 2018), and the Women’s Four-Ball Championship (2015 with Micheala Williams). She is the number one ranked junior in the state and the 2019 Alabama Girls State Junior Player of the Year. She is a 2020 verbal commit to the University of Alabama.
• Ally Williams, 2019, of Athens is a graduate of Athens High School and a Freshman at Mississippi State University. She finished third at the Girls State Junior Championship, advanced to the semifinals at the Women’s State Amateur Championship at Cherokee Ridge Country Club, and finished fifth at the Women’s Stroke Play Championship. Williams also had several top finishes on the Southeastern Junior Golf Tour this past year. She has one career AGA State Title: Women’s Four Ball Championship (2016 with Jordan Susce). Williams finished her junior golf career as the number two ranked junior in the state and as a member of the victorious 2019 Southern Junior Cup team.
• Lauren Gilchrist, 2020, of Spanish Fort is a senior at UMS-Wright Preparatory School. She was the 2019 Girls 6A AHSAA State High School Champion at RTJ Capitol Hill and had multiple wins on the SJGT this past year. She also carded a top ten performance at the Girls State Junior Championship at Goose Pond Colony Resort and was a member of the winning Southern Junior Cup team. She is the third ranked junior golfer in the state and a 2020 commit to Middle Tennessee State University.
• Erika Allen, 2021, of Berry is a junior at Northside High School. She finished second at both the 2019 AHSAA Girls State High School Championship and Girls State Junior Championship. Allen has had success while competing on the SJGT with multiple top performances including two wins and several top five finishes. Allen was a key member of the victorious 2019 Southern Junior Cup team finishing with a 4-1 record. She is currently the fourth ranked player in the state.
• Allison Howard, 2019, of Newton is a graduate of Providence Christian School and a Freshman at Samford University. Howard wrapped up her high school career with a second-place finish at the AHSAA 1A-3A State High School Championship and had several top finishes on the Southeastern Junior Golf Tour. Howard carded a top ten finish in her final Girls State Junior Championship and advanced to the semifinals at the Women’s State Amateur Championship. She concluded her junior golf career as the fifth ranked junior in the state.
2019 Alabama Boys All-State Teams
Boys First Team
• Gordon Sargent, 2021, of Birmingham is a junior at Mountain Brook High School. He won the 74th Boys State Junior Championship at Indian Hills Country Club in Tuscaloosa after firing a score of 12-under-par, winning by six shots. Sargent finished second at the Bobby Chapman Junior Invitational, made the Round of 64 at the U.S. Junior Championship, and made the cut at the Junior PGA Championship. He is a 2021 commit to Vanderbilt University and the number one ranked junior in the state, claiming the 2019 Alabama Junior Boys Player of the Year.
• Jones Free, 2021, of Marion Junction is a junior at Morgan Academy in Selma. He was the champion of the 2019 Future Masters at Dothan Country Club and AISA State High School Championship. Free finished fourth at the Boys State Junior Championship and made the cut at the State Amateur Championship. He also had several high finishes on the SJGT including one win and performed well with the AJGA posting a second-place finish at the AJGA Preview at Chateau Elan. He was a member of the victorious Team Alabama at the 2019 Southern Junior Cup. Free is the number two ranked junior in the state and a 2021 commit to the University of Alabama.
• Ford Goldasich, 2019, of Homewood is a graduate of Homewood High School and a Freshman at Lipscomb University in Nashville, Tn. Second place at the State Amateur Championship at Turtle Point Yacht and Country Club and nearly ran down his older brother with a final round 67. Goldasich had multiple top-ten performances including the Boys State Junior, AJGA Stewart Cink Championship and the AHSAA Boys 6A State High School Championship. Goldasich concluded his junior golf career as a member of the victorious Team Alabama at the 2019 Southern Junior Cup and is the third ranked junior golfer in the state.
• Price Brown, 2020, of Mobile is a senior at McGill-Toolen Catholic High School. Brown finished seventh at the Boys State Junior Championship, qualified for the Junior PGA Championship, and won the AJGA Visit Tallahassee Preview as the only player under par. He also had success competing on the Southeastern Junior Golf Tour where he racked up three top-10 performances and added a top five finish at the AHSAA Boys 7A State High School Championship. He is the fourth ranked junior in the state and a 2020 verbal commit to the University of Alabama-Birmingham.
• Austin Coggin, 2019, of Vestavia Hills is a graduate of Vestavia Hills High School and a Freshman at Auburn University. Coggin finished third at the State Amateur Championship after completing all four rounds at par or better. He was the champion at the AHSAA Boys 7A State High School Championship, added a top three finish at the Future Masters and made the cut at the Western Junior finishing top-30. Coggin concluded his junior career as a member of the victorious 2019 Southern Junior Cup team and the fifth ranked junior golfer in the state.
Ian Thompson has been writing about golf in Alabama for over 26 years. His weekly “Mr. Golf” column concentrates on golfers, golf events and people associated with the sport of interest to the Tuscaloosa and Birmingham areas. Reach him with story ideas at email@example.com