A Gadsden man charged with attempted murder took the stand in animated testimony Friday morning, claiming he never had a gun and never fired at officers in the woods off Owens Drive on Lookout Mountain on the afternoon of June 24, 2016.

The jury didn’t buy it, convicting Jeremy Abbas Ronagh, 38, on two counts of attempted murder and a firearms charge after about an hour of deliberation.

Ronagh was charged with attempted murder for firing on Etowah County Sheriff’s Office Capt. Robin Grant and Gadsden Police Officer/U.S. Marshals Task Force member Brent Whisenant, and illegally possession a firearm because of a prior third-degree robbery conviction.

Testimony and closing statements in the case ended at midday, with Chief Deputy District Attorney Marcus Reid summing up Ronagh’s defense for jurors: that everyone was lying “just to get Jeremy Ronagh.”

To believe that, Reid said in closing arguments, jurors would have to believe officers obtained a gun, fired shots through that gun to leave matching shell casings in the woods, planted the gun and a coin purse full of 9mm ammunition, altered a video, ignored the bag of methamphetamine Ronagh said he took to the woods and got witnesses to lie, just to convict him.

“Y’all are some of the crookedest people I’ve ever seen,” Ronagh said during testimony.

Reid said Grant, as is the case with all law enforcement officers, left his family that morning now knowing if he’d come back to them.

He said Ronagh expected jurors to believe Grant and Whisenant lied when they said they made eye contact with him in the woods, and he pointed a gun at them and fired.

Grant testified as the trial opened of going to the residence looking for Ronagh and Jamie Beam during the investigation of a burglary. He said he learned on the way there of a felony warrant against Ronagh.

He said when he was told the two were inside, property owner John Nelson told him to kick the door in to the master bedroom and bath. When he did, he found Beam in a bathtub, and she said Ronagh had just been there, then gestured toward a closet.

Grant saw a hole that had been cut in the floor, and Beam told him Ronagh grabbed a gun and a coin purse of ammunition and fled. Nelson told Grant he saw Ronagh run into the woods across the road.

Grant called for backup and other officers began to arrive, donning bullet-proof vests, according to witnesses, preparing to look for Ronagh.

If Beam had not told Grant that Ronagh had a gun, Reid told jurors, if she had not believed him to be armed and dangerous, Grant wouldn’t have called for all that backup, and officers wouldn’t have responded as they did.

Ronagh told jurors he and Beam were going to get in the bathtub or shower that day to cool off in the hot trailer, when he heard gravel crunch in the drive.

He said he saw a tinted-out Silverado pull up, and a man get out with a gun. He said there was nothing to identify him as an officer, and he thought it was either police or someone coming to rob them for their drugs.

Ronagh said he grabbed a Pepsi eyeglass case containing Pyrex pipes and “enough dope to get everybody in the trailer a lot of time over” and fled the trailer, running straight into the woods for “five or 10 minutes” until he ran into a tree hard enough to knock the wind out of him, leaving him seeing stars.

“The only thing I attempted to murder was a tree,” he said.

Ronagh said he never saw the officers, but saw barrels of guns coming through the thicket and he got up and ran again. He said it felt like the incident lasted for hours and that “millions of bullets rained down” on him.

“You’ve never seen a war reenactment — World War three, two or one — like it,” Ronagh said.

The officers, however, testified that the incident — from the time shots were first fired at them in the woods and they returned fire, at times running through the heavy brush, until Ronagh received a graze wound across the back of the neck — lasted about 45 seconds.

Ronagh’s testimony contradicted what officers and other witnesses told jurors during the four-day trial. He claimed to have seen a video shown to jurors prior to trial, when there was no 30-second sound delay.

Ronagh said there were four consecutive shots fired, before the point on the video where Grant ducks and officers start to return fire — the portion of the video without sound.

In closing statements, Deputy District Attorney Brynn Crain told jurors to listen closely to the shots they hear fired on body camera video from Whisenant. “You can hear shots being fired at the officers,” he said.

Ronagh claimed the video was altered — just as he claimed the High Point 9mm handgun in evidence and the shell casings the forensic witnesses said were fired through the gun — were planted.

He said Nelson — then the husband of Beam, Ronagh’s ex-wife — was jealous of him because he was reuniting with Beam under Nelson’s own roof.

“I told her that was a bad idea,” he said.

Ronagh indicated in testimony that the gun officers testified was found in the woods — about 6 inches from where Ronagh fell after he was shot — was given to them by Nelson, and disputed the idea that it was gun he tried to strike Nelson with in an encounter earlier that day.

He said Beam’s cousin, John Michael Smith, brought the gun to the trailer about 2:30 a.m. that day and wanted to trade it for methamphetamine, but Beam refused because she didn’t like guns.

Ronagh said he wanted the gun because Nelson was jealous, and he thought he might try to kill him or get him arrested.

He said Nelson “bowed up” on him in the kitchen area of the trailer — Nelson said Ronagh was the one who “bowed up” — and Ronagh tried to hit him with the gun.

Ronagh said he’d always thought Nelson was “a compulsive liar” about his military service and training, but that Steven Seagal couldn’t have disarmed him and unloaded the gun faster than Nelson did.

Ronagh said he never saw the gun again, and that he didn’t break the trigger guard on the gun while striking Nelson with it. He said the gun in the kitchen was a much nicer gun than the one in evidence, and that Nelson had other guns at the residence.

Reid asked Rongah about a facial tattoo, and despite objections from defense attorney Clark Hall that it was not relevant, Ronagh offered an explanation.

“You know that song ‘Maniac for Love?” Ronagh said. He said the tattoo related to the song and the Bible saying that you should love everyone regardless of what they do to you.

He said the word “Maniac” tattooed above his eyebrow meant a lot of things, but mostly that. He explained he didn’t want “Maniac for Love” tattooed all over, gesturing across his forehead.

He said he thought the “Maniac” tattoo would be a good conversation piece.

In closing arguments, Hall told jurors Ronagh was “colorful” and spoke his mind. Still, he told them, they had to consider his testimony and the discrepancies in his story and the stories told by witnesses.

“Nobody said Jeremy Ronagh had a gun when he hit the woods,” Hall said. “He told you he was running and why.”

Sentencing for Ronagh is set for Sept. 20.