DESTREHAN – The Destrehan Wildcats didn’t need many plays to take control of Friday’s District 7-5A game against the Central Lafourche Trojans.

The Wildcats ran only 11 plays in the first quarter, but they parlayed that into 37 points. After that, Destrehan just put things in cruise control and rolled to a 51-21 win over Central Lafourche.

“When you are in this game long enough, you sit back and shake your head when things go wrong, but (Friday night), everything went right,” Destrehan coach Stephen Robichaux said. “Everything we did happened to go right for us. I am not a guy that likes to score 50 points ever, but it was just the way things worked out. We just played well in all three phases of the game, and when you have a good chance to win the football game.”

Destrehan (6-1 overall, 4-0 in district) scored first on the third play of the game when Quinton Torbor broke loose on a 54-yard touchdown run for an early 7-0 lead.

Central Lafourche (5-2 overall, 1-2 in district) quickly answered on the ensuing drive with the help of a Jansen Folse’s 87-yard kickoff return to the 4-yard line. Three plays later, Jacob Barker tossed a 4-yard touchdown pass to Logan Wilcox to tie the game at 7.

After that, it was all Wildcats.

Destrehan closed out the first quarter by reeling off 30 straight points to take a commanding 37-7 lead.

“We had just scored to make it 7-7, and we figured that we had a chance,” Central Lafourche Keith Menard said. “They just scored too fast, and we had trouble keeping up. We were playing from behind so much. Everything just went right for them.”

Harold Blood Jr. started the scoring onslaught by firing a 70-yard touchdown strike to Joseph Washington, and following a Central Lafourche fumble, the Wildcats struck again on John Emery’s 46-yard touchdown run. Emery added a 10-yard touchdown run later in the quarter to give the Wildcats a 28-7 lead.

Emery, one of the top backs in the country and a Georgia committ, had only two carries in the game, and both went for touchdowns. Blood was on target throughout the game, finishing 6-of-7 for 175 yards and two touchdowns.

Destrehan’s special teams joined the scoring party in the closing seconds of the first quarter. After adding a safety on a bad snap on a punt attempt, Dontrell Smith took the ensuing free kick and returned it 70 yards for a touchdown on the final play of the first quarter to give Destrehan a 37-7 lead.

When the dust settled in the first half, Destrehan had 309 yards of total offense (134 rushing, 175 passing) and scored two special teams touchdowns. By comparison, Central Lafourche had 55 yards (15 rushing, 50 passing) in the first half.

“It just seemed like everything was working for us,” Robichaux said. “It was great that we happened to play well and things went our way.”

The Wildcats did not stop there, adding two more touchdowns in the second quarter for a 51-7 halftime lead.

Quincy Brown outjumped a pair of Trojans defenders on a deep pass from Blood and took it in from 38 yards out for a 44-7 lead. Smith added his second touchdown of the night – this time on a 58-yard punt return – to take a commanding 51-7 lead at halftime.

The Trojans continued to fight in the second half. Deon Jenkins scored on touchdown runs of 4 and 54 yards to make the score 51-21 after three quarters.

Jenkins led the Trojans’ offense as finished with 28 carries for 138 yards and two scores.

“I thought we should have competed better in the first half score wise,” Menard said. “I thought our guys competed the whole game, but it would have been better to have a competitive game.”

Destrehan outgained Central Lafourche 345-225 in total yards.